Homeworld Remastered is a complete remaster of Homeworld and Homeworld 2, released on 25 February 2015 by Gearbox Software. The Homeworld games have been re-mastered with key members of the original development team using the newest sophisticated graphics rendering technology, plus a fully remastered score and new, high fidelity voice recordings by the original actors.
The Homeworld Remastered Collection consists of the following:
- Homeworld Remastered: a new version of Homeworld, moved into the Homeworld 2 engine and featuring a total graphical overhaul and new sound and music.
- Homeworld 2 Remastered: a new version of Homeworld 2, featuring improved graphics and new sound and music.
- Homeworld Multiplayer: a new multiplayer mode, integrating the four factions from Homeworld 1 and 2.
- Homeworld Classic: the original version of the game, released as it was in 1999, updated only so it can work on modern operating systems.
- Homeworld 2 Classic: the original version of Homeworld 2, released as it was in 2003, updated also to work on modern operating systems.
Homeworld: Cataclysm is not included in the package, but was later released as Homeworld: Emergence on GOG.
The Homeworld Remastered game engine is a heavily modified and improved version of the Homeworld 2 classic game engine. So both remastered campaigns and the multiplayer mode all have very similar gameplay to Homeworld 2 classic. In addition to improving graphics and sounds, Gearbox also added many Homeworld 1 classic features such as formations, realistic ballistics, and tactics/stances. However these features were often implemented differently than they appeared in Homeworld 1 classic, to the disappointment of many fans.
Collector's Edition Edit
As well as a digital release via Steam, Homeworld Remastered was also released as a physical boxed set. This set includes a Revised Historical Briefings And Artwork book, which expands on the backstory of the setting and features concept art developed for the game by Rob Cunningham and Jon Aaron Kambeitz. The set also includes a die-cast Angel Moon keychain and a 13"-tall replica of the Pride of Hiigara, complete with USB-powered lights.
Despite the hype around the Remastered edition, on release day, the game was launched with a slew of bugs and balance issues, most notably within the remaster of the first Homeworld game. Homeworld Remastered received twelve completed patches, the last of which was the version 2.1 patch released on June 10, 2016. Details can be found in the Change List and Balance Change List. Additional patches were planned, and a 2.205 patch preview was made available as an optional beta on July 5, 2016. However Gearbox decided to halt development and shift its focus to other games. Ultimately, many large bugs and balance issues remained as documented in the Bugs and Solutions Thread.
Players are encouraged to install mods, notably the community created 2.3 Players Patch, in order to fix the lingering issues from 2.1. Community created patches have appeared to resolve a significant portion of the bugs from the last official patch, rebalanced the game and attempted to restore original gameplay mechanics, and development of these patches are continuing.
See Also Edit
External Links Edit
- Official Site
- Gearbox Site - Developer site
- Balcora Gate - Multiplayer guides and information
- Homeworld Remastered Karos Graveyard - Modding information
|Homeworld||Homeworld: Cataclysm||Homeworld 2||Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak|